Monday, October 10, 2011

Husband Tested/Husband Approved

I am always on the lookout for new recipes. I get bored so easily and my husband is so picky that it really limits what I can fix that I know will be eaten. Due to the cold weather, this week is soup experiment week.

My hubby is a pretty good soup eater, as long as there are not too many ingredients that he can recognize that he normally won't eat. I, however, will admit that I am not a big soup fan. Although I am way better than I used to be (as a child I hated all soups except New England clam chowder, I still can be selective when it comes to soup. However, I think I have found some recipes that we both may approve of.

In fact the first one I tried last night received a HUGE thumbs up from my hubby, which means most people will like it. Plus, I love it because it includes veggies, which are always a struggle to get him to eat. I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com, but modified to make it a little healthier. (I am sure you could use regular cheese, whole milk, and regular ham and it would be wonderful as well. We're just trying to cut back on our fat intake.)

Here it is:

Ham and Cheese Soup

3 c. cubed potatoes (I used red potatoes and did not peel them. More vitamins that way.)
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 c. water
1 t. dried parsley
2 g. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. skim milk
1 1/2 c. low fat cheese
1 c. lean chopped ham
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used sea salt, since it provides more flavor with less salt.)

1.In a large stock pot add potatoes, celery, onion, chicken bouillon, water, and parsley flakes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until vegetables become tender.
2. In a separate bowl mix flour and milk. Once it is well blended, add to soup mixture and cook until soup becomes thick.
3. Stir in cheese, cooked ham and simmer until cheese is melted.

Adapted from "Golden Potato Soup" at Allrecipes.com

No comments: