Today on the USA channel they have been showing movies all morning .. . . YEAH, something to do! Currently, they are showing one of my all time favorites: Patch Adams. Although I know that the movie is not an entirely true account, I still love the thought and ideas that Patch has put forward regarding health care and putting the "humanness" back into treatment. It was something that I, at times, found myself losing when doing counseling. Just going through the motions to get through the day, rather than realize that each person has that need for the personal touch.
If you think about it, how much better would we all feel about going to the doctor if we knew that we would treated like a real person vs. a patient. Even the power of humor can be truly healing and calm even the toughest of situations. For this I am grateful to my husband. He has been there through all of the testing, medications, and procedures and was able to help me keep my sense of humor through it. We even got the doctor laughing so hard during the IUI procedure that she asked us to stop so she could concentrate, but it definitely made it easier to deal with such a sterile and, at times, embarrassing process. Just wait until the labor and delivery process . . . if I can't find some type of humor in it all, then just knock me out and wake me when it is over. It helps make the hospital visit more pleasant, and most hospital personnel want to be more attentive. I mean, seriously, who want to deal with a grouchy patient!
Anywhoo. . . . I checked out the Gesundheit Institutes's website and was excited to find out that they have volunteer opportunities on the property to help maintain the land and the building in exchange to experience Patch's unique form of the healing arts and actually getting to meet Patch, Dr. John Glick, and other founders of the institute. What a fabulous idea and opportunity! This is definitely going on the "bucket list"!
If you think about it, how much better would we all feel about going to the doctor if we knew that we would treated like a real person vs. a patient. Even the power of humor can be truly healing and calm even the toughest of situations. For this I am grateful to my husband. He has been there through all of the testing, medications, and procedures and was able to help me keep my sense of humor through it. We even got the doctor laughing so hard during the IUI procedure that she asked us to stop so she could concentrate, but it definitely made it easier to deal with such a sterile and, at times, embarrassing process. Just wait until the labor and delivery process . . . if I can't find some type of humor in it all, then just knock me out and wake me when it is over. It helps make the hospital visit more pleasant, and most hospital personnel want to be more attentive. I mean, seriously, who want to deal with a grouchy patient!
Anywhoo. . . . I checked out the Gesundheit Institutes's website and was excited to find out that they have volunteer opportunities on the property to help maintain the land and the building in exchange to experience Patch's unique form of the healing arts and actually getting to meet Patch, Dr. John Glick, and other founders of the institute. What a fabulous idea and opportunity! This is definitely going on the "bucket list"!













1 comment:
Do you know the gender of your baby?
Post a Comment