Monday, February 15, 2010

Motherhood Lessons Learned

When my husband and I were still contemplating if we could/wanted to have children, I had a visit with my Relief Society President. I poured my heart out to her with the issues we were dealing with and wondering if this was even a path we wanted to embark upon. There was something to be said with our ability to load up the car on a whim and go wherever we wanted, when we wanted. This well meaning lady told me that by us having a child that would in no way change. I chuckled to myself, because I knew for sure that was not true. I had too many friends and family that had babies, and I remembered all too well how our time to "hang out" was immediately changed to dictation by this little creature that could only sleep, poop, and cry.

Now as I begin my own adventure in motherhood there are certain life lessons that I have learned. One of these lessons are what are luxuries. A luxury is something that in your "old life" you took for granted as common every day things that you thought "everyone did". However, as a new mom they suddenly become something you long for and cherish any chance you can partake in the activity. For example:

1. A long hot shower or sometimes a shower period
2. REALLY cleaning the house
3. Doing my makeup
4. Doing my hair in something other than a ponytail or thrown together bun
5. Reading an entire chapter in a book
6. Completing a craft project in one setting
7. Completing any project in one setting
8. Alone time
9. Sleeping in
10. A full night's sleep without waking for crying baby or even anticipating crying baby
11. Clean clothes - Wearing the same outfit the entire day and it stays spit-up free

But what can I say. To exchange all of this for a coo or a smile from a little boy who thinks you are the greatest thing in the world. They can just stay luxuries. I have more important things to do.

1 comment: