Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Hawaiian Mountain Lions

I figure since I get to endure reading about all of your children, you get to endure my cat story and pictures.


As many of you know, Jim and I have 3 Hawaiian Mountain Lions aka cats. (Hawaiian Mountain Lions is what they call cats in Hawaii since they do not have mountain lions.) Two were mine prior to our marriage and one was his. I had the first one, Ms. Lefty, when I was married before. After my divorce, I was never home between work and school and Ms. Lefty was not handling it well. I called the ASPCA where I had adopted her and asked them what to do. Boy, did they see a sucker coming. They convinced me that I needed to get another cat to keep Ms. Lefty company, so stupidly I adopted Sasha. Of course, the "girls" did not get along at all! But I had made a commitment when I adopted them and couldn't just take them back.


Sasha is a Ragdoll, which is a rare breed, and was an old lady's lapcat (very spoiled) when her previous owner had to get rid of her due to medical problems. She still considers herself as a lapcat and loves nothing more than to sit in my lap while I read or write in my journal. When my mother was here recently, Sasha was in heaven because Mom would let her sit on her lap for hours and just be petted. She is very much a Ragdoll, in the sense she is a one owner cat and does not like boys. She also has the beautiful Ragdoll eyes and quiet meow.



Ms. Lefty is my abused kitty that is still very skittish and shy. People rarely will see her since she usually hides all day, especially if there are people in the house she does not know. She has extra toes on her front paws, which makes it look like she has little hands. She is Jim's buddy and can't wait until he comes home so he can give her attention. She has also started to learn how to play thanks to Jim's cat, Ratta.







Then there's Ratta-tat, the matted cat. This is Jim's buddy and goes in mourning every time Jim has to go to work. He is our juvenile delinquent and gets into EVERYTHING!!! Nothing is sacred. Whever Jim buys me roses we have to put them on the armoir in our spare bedroom or he will eat the leaves. The drawer in the picture is the top drawer of our armoir. He sleeps there during the day, which I am glad because it gives me a break. (He was not happy when I took this picture because I woke him up when opened his drawer.)




He also loves to "take a shower" in the waterfall waterdish we have for the cats. I'll have to try and catch him in the act and get a picture. He has done his "trick" for our stake president when he came over to visit and recently did it for my mom. I thought she would fall off the sofa from laughing at our bathing cat.

As much as we love them, we are definately not going to replace them when they are gone but will be replacing all of the carpet. Thank goodness for Dyson vacuums and Hoover steam cleaner's until then!! I vacuum constantly and spray everything down with Febreeze allergen since I have family with asthma and I can't stand pet hair. (Like I said, I know I'm stupid for getting them.)

No comments: